Touch Typing tools in GNU/Linux
I have seen many people using computers these days, but barely a very few people being able to type properly i.e non of them are touch typists but mostly heck and punch typists. I feel every school or colleges irrespective of there course touch typing should be made compulsory subject.
Touch typing (also called touch type or touch keyboarding) is a style of typing. Although the phrase refers to typing without using the sense of sight to find the keys—specifically, a touch typist will know their location on the keyboard through muscle memory—the term is often used to refer to a specific form of touch typing that involves placing the eight fingers in a horizontal row along the middle of the keyboard (the home row) and having them reach for specific other keys. (Under this usage, typists who do not look at the keyboard but do not use home row either are referred to as hybrid typists.) Both two-handed touch typing and one-handed touch typing are possible.
Here I am going to provide list of tools that can be installed for learning touch typing.
- GNU Typist (also called gtypist) is a universal typing tutor. You can learn correct typing and improve your skills by practicing its exercises on a regular basis.
- It is basically based on command line and uses ncurses for the display.
- This is highly recommended for people who are really addicted to mouse.
- Interface cannot be much simpler.
- Ktouch is a KDE based typing tutor and has a very nice interface It provides you with text to train on and adjusts to different levels depending on how good you are.
- Tux Typing is an educational typing program for children starring Tux.It is an open source educational typing tutorial game for kids.
- Klavaro – Touch Typing Tutor Software. Klavaro is libre software that intends to be keyboard and language independent and supports many language layouts. The interface quite simple and has least distractions.
- TIPP10 - is a free 10-finger touch typing tutor. You can use TIPP10 directly in your browser or you can download the software version. This has been suggested in comment by Jovin.
The list can continue and go on. But the need of time is to learn touch typing for improved efficiency in using computers.